Obama's characterization in Rolling Stone

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Oct 26 12:22:23 UTC 2012

Just a couple of days ago, I overheard myself (well past 50!) using the word "bullshit" in class--while imploring my students to make their writing substantive, focused, and concise.

I must report, however, that some students giggled in (presumable) reaction to hearing the word fall trippingly from such a superannuated tongue.

I'm thinking that if I had, instead, said "b.s.," no eyebrow would have risen.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:57 PM

I don't know about the rules, but I was just listening to HBO's _Real Time
with Bill Maher_ and heard numerous "fucks" and a couple of "bullshits".
 Earlier in the evening, I was speaking with a devoutly Christian friend,
nearly my age, who frequently expresses himself that way to indicate only
very slightly more emotion than usual.

If you're under 40 (or maybe even 50 at this point), that level of usage
presumably sounds unremarkable in most contexts unless accompanied by
strident intonation and wild gesticulating.  The overall contents of
UrbanDictionary are suggestive in this regard.

For most people, I suppose "motherfucker" still retains some shock value.
As does "cocksucker." A distinguished lawyer friend, however, uses both
where I would choose the now mealy-mouthed "bastard" and "son of a bitch."

Just be thankful that British unisex "cunt" is still rare here.

For now.

JL