"Alice=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=Adventures in an Appalachian Wonderland" published by Evertype

Michael Everson everson at EVERTYPE.COM
Sun Oct 28 05:55:29 UTC 2012

On 28 Oct 2012, at 12:17, W Brewer wrote:

>> ME: I would be interested to receive comment from readers regarding the suitability of this orthography for representing Appalachian dialect.
>
> WB: Since the market for such materials will be limited to dialectologists for the most part, what is the point of another QWERTY contrivance?

I don't believe that the market for the Appalachian Alice will be limited to dialectologists, though I hope dialectologists will also enjoy it.

This is a 27,000 word novel transposed from 19th-century England to 19th-century Appalachia, and should be enjoyed by everyone. The reason I invested some effort in a practical orthography was that the original manuscript was replete with apologetic apostrophes and they seemed to get in the way of the flow of the text.

> Stick to 1989 Kiel Convention IPA, and future generations will call you blesse`d.

Heh, I have some issues with the 1989 conventions. But I will be issuing the Received Pronunciation Alice in IPA transcription sometime next year.