Anecdote: Meeting someone in hell [Was: You shall either die upon the gallows or of a social disease]

Mon Oct 29 03:39:17 UTC 2012

The anecdote was printed in 1815 in a book from the Massachusetts
Historical Society. The book was reviewed in "The North American
Review" in November 1815 and the anecdote was reprinted. These cites
are still rather late.

Book Title: Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society
Volume: 3 of the Second Series
Year: 1815
Article: A Description of Kingston, in the County of Plymouth
Start Page: 204
Quote Page: 211
Publisher: Printed for John Eliot, Boston, Massachusetts
(Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=t6syAQAAMAAJ&q=%22in+hell%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
In a company of gentlemen, where Father Flynt, who was a preacher, and
many years a tutor at Cambridge, was present, Mr. Whitfield said: "It
is my opinion, that Dr. Tillotson is now in hell for his heresy."
Father Flynt replied, "It is my opinion, that you will not meet him
there."
[End excerpt]

Journal: The North American review and miscellaneous journal
Article: Review of Collections of the Massachusetts
  Historical Society, Volume 3 of the second series,
  Boston, John Eliot.
Start Page: 109
Quote Pages: 123 and 124
Publisher: Wells and Lilly, Boston, Massachusetts.
(Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=d6dKAAAAcAAJ&q=%22in+hell%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
In the description of Kingston, which follows that of Plymouth, there
is a repartee to an illiberal remark of the famous Whitfield, that is
worth transcribing.

In a company of gentlemen, where Father Flynt, who was a preacher, and
many years a tutor at Cambridge, was present, Mr. Whitfield said: "It
is my opinion, that Dr. Tillotson is now in hell for his heresy."
Father Flynt replied, "It is my opinion, that you will not meet him
there."
[End excerpt]

Garson