Nagging Question--was: Hot new Einstein quote

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Wed Oct 31 20:33:05 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:52 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Nagging Question--was: Hot new Einstein quote

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
     American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
-------

You can call a really smart person "a regular Einstein," but not "a
regular
Mark Twain."

I mean, you could, but everybody would blink at you repeatedly with set,
unsmiling faces... .

Actually, that's what they _customarily_ do.

And you can call a really smart person "a regular Brainiac."

But not "a regular Mark Twain."

Makes sense...especially considering that (in my view, anyway) not too
many people invite comparisons with Mark Twain.

Lynne Hunter

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Hunter, Lynne R CIV
SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC,

-------

> I've tried to keep quiet about this, but it just keeps nagging me: How
> do we know that Albert Einstein was "even smarter than Mark Twain"? Do
> we just accept that as a given? Is it because Einstein was a genius in
> math and science and Mark Twain was _only_ a genius in literature?
Would
> we automatically say that Sir Isaac Newton was smarter than
Shakespeare,
> or that any person highly accomplished in the sciences is _smarter_
than
> a person accomplished in other disciplines? Does math and science
trump
> other fields even among this company (as it does among the general
> population, evidently contributing to the reverence for technology and
> its consequences)? Does anybody else feel uneasy about making these
> comparisons?
>
> Lynne Hunter

Behalf
> Of Jonathan Lighter
> Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:04 PM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Hot new Einstein quote

> American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Hot new Einstein quote

> -------
>
> This has been cybercirculating for a couple of weeks, attributed
Albert