Fron a Facebook post:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 1 02:24:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> No I didn't.

Uh, I don't get that. Do you mean that you immediately recognized that
the proper form of the idiom was?

So did I.

Or do you mean that you immediately recognized _assordid_ as a word
that you had never before encountered before, but, clearly, it had to
be an error for _assorted_, so that there was no reason for you to
wonder about it?

Okay. I can see that.

But I was thinking of someone writing down _assordid_, a word that he
could never have seen anywhere in print, and simply not wondering
about it at all, not wondering what connection there might be between
_sordid_ and _AS sordid_, how the latter found its way into the idiom,
etc., hence seeing no reason to look into a dictionary.

I concede that you had only my post to go by and not my entire train of thought.

"Sorry about that!" to coin a phrase. ;-)

--
-Wilson
-----