Mayday antedating

Mon Sep 3 05:35:15 UTC 2012

Great work, Victor. Here is an instance closer to the beginning of 1923.

Cite: 1923 February 2, The Times (London), New Air Distress Signal,
Page 7, Column 4, London, England. (Times Digital Archive GaleGroup)

[Begin excerpt]
Owing to the difficulty of distinguishing the letter "S" by telephone,
the international distress signal "S.O.S." will give place to the
words "May-day," the phonetic equivalent of "M'aidez," the French for
"Help me."
[End excerpt]

There is also an snippet instance in Punch (London Charivari) that GB
assigns a date of 1923. GB does not specify a month or day. Punch
acknowledges "Daily Paper" for the information. I suspect that The
Times reported it before Punch. Here is a link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nwwIAQAAIAAJ&q=%22May+Day%22#search_anchor

Garson