THE Reverend Wright

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 3 14:33:14 UTC 2012

The customary formula -- it used to be "the Rev. Mr." or "the Rev.
Dr.", depending on the absence/presence of a D.D.

The OED has reverend, adj., 1.c.:  "c. Chiefly with the. Used before
a name as a title of a member of the clergy.In British English and
varieties closely associated with it, the use of Reverend directly
before a surname (without a forename, initial, or other title, as
Doctor, Professor, etc.) and without the has typically been
considered unacceptable, although examples of this kind are
increasingly common throughout the 20th cent. In American English,
this style is widely and uncontroversially attested from at least the
19th cent."

Joel