NYT: "Facebook's headquarters _are_ located at One Hacker Way." [NT]

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Sep 3 14:57:04 UTC 2012

On Sep 3, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 9/2/2012 08:44 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>> Well, the British/Australian abbreviation is "maths", so you can draw
>> your own conclusions.
>>
>>    VS-)
>
> My conclusion is that they would say "Maths is my hardest
> course."

each case is different.  usage for "mathematics"/"maths" varies, but "X is my favorite course" is beside the point, since course names are treated as singular for the purposes of agreement, even when they are clearly plural in form: "Differential Equations is my favorite course", "Languages of the World is my favorite course".

arnold