Maths is

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 3 15:47:22 UTC 2012

People would look at you funny, but not because you wrote "is". In this
context, "mathematics" would be more acceptable. "Maths" is not a
science--it's what's taught at schools. Now, we can also look at "math"
as a process of obtaining a result, as in "I'll have to check your
math". I don't know how this is treated in BrE, if at all. Is it "check
you math" or "check you maths"? To my ear, the latter would sound
implausible, but I'm not trained in BrE.

     VS-)

PS: Never mind that the coordination may well tie to the use of
"science", as it does to "course" in your earlier example. Basically,
you need a different sentence structure to get a clarifying example.