Wait, what? Is it just me?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Sep 4 01:18:22 UTC 2012

I find the "but" in the Atlantic perhaps a bit odder than John
does.  All I can do with it is contrast the "un-addicted" siblings
with the "addicted", but the grammatical contrast is between "a
traumatic childhood" and "impulsivity and compulsive behavior"
--which they all shared.

The sentence from Time seems unremarkable to me too, although a
clearer comparison would not have put an apple ([absence of] flood
damage) on one side and an orange (deaths) on the other.

Joel