Antedating of "Spreadsheet" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Sep 6 16:04:29 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

_Nation's Business_ 11/1930 p 126 col 1 [ABI/Inform] [adv for
Comptometer Adding and Calculating Machine]

"Two things essential to high speed distribution at low cost, are:
1.  Rapid, accurate addition.
2.  Elimination of the many postings of items as in the spread sheet
method."

_National Association of Cost Accountants. NACA Bulletin_ Jan 15, 1933
p. 763. [ABI/Inform]

"We maintain, in our general ledger, a so-called Spread Sheet which is a
long sheet with the name of each individual plant in a particular
column."

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> spreadsheet (OED 1982)
>
> 1981 _ABA Banking Journal_ Oct. (Nexis)  Whatever the size of your
bank' pe=
> rsonal computers belong on its planning agenda for next year. Personal
comp=
> uters--also known as home computers and microcomputers--are those
small, in=
> expensive, and yet amazingly powerful and flexible machines that are
being =
> used for everything from video games to spread-sheet analysis.
>
> ***
>
> The above citation alludes to VisiCalc, the enormously important
invention =
> of my old partner on the MIT tiddlywinks team, Dan Bricklin.  The OED
fails=
> to recognize that the VisiCalc spreadsheet was preceded by a
noncomputeriz= ed
> financial tool called a "spread-sheet."  Here is an early citation:
>
> 1945 _Journal of the American Statistical Association_ 40: 511 (JSTOR)
Att=
> ention is directed to the Summary of Financial Data (Spread Sheet)
shown in=