"Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Four Years Ago?"

Fri Sep 7 15:45:53 UTC 2012

Fred Shapiro asked
> I would be interested in any suggestions as to the origin of the
> election-year question, "Are you better off today than you were
> four years ago?"
> When is some version of it first recorded?  When was it
> popularized?

Here is an instance from a newspaper opinion piece in 1900. The author
seems to believe that readers should answer the question affirmatively
and support the incumbent, McKinley.

Cite: 1900 September 20, Aberdeen Weekly News, [Untitled opinion
article], Quote Page 2, Column 4, Aberdeen, South Dakota.
(GenealogyBank)

[Begin excerpt]
Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Are your
prospects better now than they were then? Do you think your interests
will he advanced by turning down the policies that have worked so well
during the past three years and returning to the policies that
produced the hard times of 1893-1896? These are questions each voter
should consider, and he can think them out for himself better than any
other man can think them out for him. The issues now are precisely the
same as they were four years ago as far as the people of the United
States are concerned.
[End excerpt]

Garson