Charles William Eliot on the curve ball

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Sep 8 11:08:34 UTC 2012

"To pitch a curved ball seemed to him to be a resort to a low form of cunning," according to Eliot biographer Henry James.

http://books.google.com/books?id=28rzD3RRlx0C&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=eliot+%22low+form+of+cunning%22&source=bl&ots=x_lWxBIFvI&sig=cf8hx19kBYOMls9rORSlWvSVr_8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ziVLUJjlG4qe8gSwzIH4Bg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=eliot%20%22low%20form%20of%20cunning%22&f=false

presumably claimed to be in
Author   James, Henry, 1879-1947.
Title    Charles W. Eliot, president of Harvard university, 1869-1909.
Published       London Constable, 1930.

SG
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 7:01 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Charles William Eliot on the curve ball

FWIW,
 Soos, Troy, 1957-
 Before the curse : the glory days of New England baseball, 1858-1918 / Troy Soos.
Rev. ed.
Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., c2006. page 44 gives:
One of the challenges that the Harvard ball club had to face came not from another team but from the head of their own school. In the early 1870s, university president Charles W. Eliot threatened to close down the baseball program because he did not approve of the curve ball, calling it a "low form of cunning."

No footnote, though the book has lengthy acknowledgements, including to archives, and a fairly long bibliography.

Stephen Goranson
www.duke.edu/~goranson