"nine yards" unlikely from football?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 8 14:08:44 UTC 2012

This seems to be a misstatement of the sarcastic football use of "whole
nine yards". The idea that I've heard behind it (and occasionally used
on the field) is that it simply represents a lot of effort only not to
get the first down, i.e., the "whole" nine yards is obviously not
enough, so not really "whole". Thus, the focus would not really be on a
single play or on fourth down, although both could be contributing
factors. It mashes well with other expressions, such as "X yards and a
cloud of dust". Again, I am not suggesting this as the likely origin,
but it is something to keep in mind.

     VS-)