antedating "greasy spoon" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Sep 12 18:33:43 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Stephen's find is in one of the Series of AHN that GenealogyBank doesn't
carry (alluding to the problems Sam Clements and I had a week or so ago,
in reproducing Fred Shapiro's antedatings of "French Fries".)

This is kind of bothersome, in that pretty much everything I've searched
for in AHN since subscribing to MidContinent's library stands a
substantial chance of being antedated or otherwise incomplete.

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Bill Mullins wrote:
>
> OED has 1925 (slang for restauarant)
>
> _St Paul [MN] Globe_ 29 Apr 1898 p 4 col 4 "A person who was not long
over
> from foreign parts went into a restaurant, the sign of the "Greasy
Spoon," on
> Seventh street, late Wednesday night and asked for a dish of ham and
eggs."

> ****
>
> Headline: A Cut-Rate War Has Broken out. Warring Saloons on the Levee
Reduced
> the Price of a Drink of Whisky;
> Paper: St. Louis Republic; Date: 08-24-1897; Volume: 90; Issue: 55;
Page: 5;