Word (phrase?) of the year? - "double down"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 18 19:04:07 UTC 2012

As usual, Ben beats us all to the punch.

But I am not entirely convinced that "double-down" must be either the
betting metaphor or the negative political one. Consider the whole
column here:

http://goo.gl/mOKdY
“Double Down” Debate Draws Kudos and Ire
> “When you think about being a woman, and you feel like you shouldn’t
> push forward, you should pull back because of having a baby or
> anything else, that is exactly the time to turn around and double
> down,” said Swisher.

The piece is full of catch phrases, including "lean in", "lean back",
"push back", "push forward", "pull back", "slow down", etc.

This is not a singular instance--just the first one I spotted. But it
has some interesting side bonuses as well.

VS-)