Laying it down

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 19 20:26:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> "I saw John laid his book down"

"I seen him done it"

by coincidence, was presented in my high-school, English "'grammar*
textbook as the quintessential "ungrammatical" sentence, spoken by a
person represented as a cartoon of a stereotypical, uneducated hick.

For *dekkids*, this struck me as *the* most ridiculous string ever
construed in English. If it popped into my head when I was with other
people, I'd have to explain why I had suddenly burst into laughter.

Nowadays, I see it as a mere stylistic variant, instead of as
something that not even the least-educated native-speaker of English
could possibly say. After all,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson