(Canadian) shit-disturbers

Fri Sep 21 15:52:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
> > --LH, wondering why my posts sometimes end up in 3D
>
> well, =3D, each of these an encoding of the ASCII character =.  i assume
> that what you typed was a line of ='s separating parts of your text.

As I believe we've determined in the past, this weird ASCII encoding
issue occurs when the poster's email service is set to send outgoing
messages in rich text rather than plain text. If the message contains
a URL, the messiness ensues, while other messages look fine. (This is
true of Larry's posts.) And on the receiving end, the messiness only
appears in email form -- the online archive seems to handle those
messages no problem.

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer