apparently I'm a bigoted hypocrite (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 14:44:03 UTC 2012

The joke appears in Terry Southern's oft-reprinted essay, "Twirling at Ole
Miss" (Esquire, February, 1963).

As I recall it, "Southern" appears in Oxford looking for directions to the
university.  He sees a bunch of old guys whittlin'.  Not wanting them to
realize he's a pointy-headed Yankee journalist, he deliberately reverts to
the rural speech of his Texas youth and asks, "Whur the school?"

The unfriendly reply is, "Reckon you mean, 'Whur the school _at_,
stranger!'"

JL