slur & epithet, racially derogatory word

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 2 10:56:04 UTC 2013

Some other words/phrases that moved swiftly from AAE into mainstream English are _24/7_, _back in the day_, and _chill/chill out_  , among others.

--Margaret Lee

________________________________
 From: Geoffrey Nunberg <nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2013 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: slur & epithet, racially derogatory word

Thanks,  Neal, this is one-stop shopping. It seems to confirm that this use of 'slur' was a creation of African American speech (or of the African American media, anyway) before spreading to the white mainstream in the early 60's. Needless to say, there are a whole lot of std English words that began their lives as AA vernacular, but 'slur' seems to be different: it has never been slang in either variety and doesn't seem to have worked its way up from vernacular speech--it's as if it went right from the pages of Ebony to Time magazine. Hard to think of any other words, or new word senses, that have followed this course. Or am I (not for the first time) missing something?

Geoff

> From: Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>
> Date: March 30, 2013 3:28:55 PM PDT
> Subject: Re: slur & epithet, "racially derogatory word"
>

> I wrote on this topic for Visual Thesaurus last year:
>
> http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/slurred-language/
>
> Neal Whitman
>
> On Mar 30, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Geoffrey Nunberg <nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Geoffrey Nunberg <nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU>
>> Subject:      slur & epithet, "racially derogatory word"
>>
>> I�m trying to figure out when �(racial) slur� entered the mainstream vocabulary in the sense of �derogatory word,� as opposed simply to an insulting or defamatory remark. Ngrams shows the phrase "racial slur" as quite rare before the 60s. In Google Books and Proquest, it seems to have been used in this sense before then predominantly in African American publications like Ebony, Jet, and the Chicago Defender (where early cites refer, to a 1942 NAACP objection Lucky Strike�s �nigger head� brand tobacco and complaints from black students in the same year about being required to sing Stephen Foster songs about �darkies�). In other sources, it seems to be chiefly used in this period mostly to refer to insults or disparaging remarks or actions having to do with race (in one case when an officer in Korea tells white soldiers that the colored officers have stuck with the troops more than they have; in another, by Nixon to describe the
 charge that he was anti-Semitic; in another when!