"sacred honour", "office of honour"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 8 15:08:12 UTC 2013

I am interested in the meaning of the following terms in and at the
time of the adoption of the US Constitution:

sacred honour

office of trust
office of honour
office of profit

In the Constitution the last three appear in, and apparently only in,
the article dealing with impeachment, where they are listed together
and are not distinguished.  A litle bit of Googling suggests that
there were no definitions because everyone knew what they meant!

"Office of profit" I will guess is one where the revenues are farmed,
and a portion provides compensation for the office-holder.  But
that's only a guess.

Joel