Condoms in the 18th century

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 10 15:54:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Where would one find a collection of terms used for "condom" in the
> 18th century -- both standard and slang?

Besides "cundum", the only other term mentioned in Grose 1785/1811 is "machine":

Those two are also the only terms with first cites from the 18th
century listed in the Historical Thesaurus of the OED.


Ben Zimmer

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list