The Powers That Be

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 17 13:50:52 UTC 2013

Maybe checking out some earlier sources for Romans 13:1 could shed light on
the mood in 'powers that be'. The NT Gk looks like it has a nominative
plural feminine present active indicative participle (ai ousai ‘the [sc.
powers] being/existing’). (Could be wrong, the only NT Gk I ever had to
deal with was the Kyrie Eleison.) Vulgate has third person plural present
indicative active (quae sunt ‘[sc. powers] which are’). If KJV were
influenced by these indicative moods, then the BE in POWERS THAT BE should
be indicative as well.

http://greeknewtestament.com/B45C013.htm

Greek New Testament--  pasa psyche: exousiais uperechousais upotassestho: /
ou gar estin exousia ei me: upo theou / AI de OUSAI upo theou tetagmenai
eisin

Latin Vulgate--  omnis anima potestatibus sublimioribus subdita sit / non
est enim potestas nisi a Deo / QUAE autem SUNT a Deo ordinatae sunt
King James--  Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there
is no power but of God: the powers THAT BE are ordained of God.