ety of "damascus" steel

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 19 01:56:07 UTC 2013

"Teardrops" might be a touch heavy-handed.

http://goo.gl/qQ72P

http://goo.gl/YoeM8

Modern interpretation of "Damascus steel" almost makes it worse as
almost any "moiré"-type pattern (made famous by After Dark screensaver
for Macs, then for PCs, years ago) on metal (and not just...) passes for
"Damascus steel". Note the legend with the second image above--no
mention of the Crusades, but pretty heavy on "Damascus, Syria".

I'm also somewhat befuddled by the original reference to the name
"Damasqui". Does this not imply "someone from Damasc[us]". And might
this not suggest Damascus origin as well, however indirectly?

VS-)