Level up

Fri Apr 19 06:00:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> The expression in the context "need X points to level up" has been
> around for a while. Can't say for certain, but MIT gamers have used it
> in the 1990s for sure. I'm too lazy to look for details right now, but
> the expression is not recent.

Usenet examples from 1992-93:

---
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video/msg/a1e5b57645463539
rec.games.video, Feb. 11, 1992
In SoV, when you level up, you get your hp's and mp's restored to
those new levels.
---
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video/msg/1ac79baf599b17fa
rec.games.video, Jan. 19, 1993
Romancing Saga also has a neat advancement system, with no strict leveling up.
---
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video/msg/1fcd703975014719
rec.games.video, Feb. 24, 1993
However, it's not a real simulation war game neither, because you can
cast magic spells, use items, equip weapons and rings, get items, buy
and sell, level up,.....etc that are all operations you can perform in
a typical RPG.
---

--bgz

--