"gunfight" and "exchange of gunfire"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 20 23:30:55 UTC 2013

An NBC face did point out that you could tell from their sound which
direction the gunshots were coming from and it was clear that all of the
shots were coming from only one direction. However, he offered no further
analysis. He probably was afraid to appear to be painting Jokhar as a
potential victim of NYC-style police overreaction, as though he were merely
some random black guy unluckily fallen afoul of The Man.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "gunfight" and "exchange of gunfire"

> These appear to be exciting knee-jerk terms for "the sound of numerous
> gunshots ."
>
> Media reports claim that Joker was captured after a gun battle with police.
>
> But has anyone actually reported that in his weakened condition he did any
> shooting at all, or that he was even captured in possession of a firearm?
>
> Just asking.
>
> JL
>
> --

-Wilson