"gunfight" and "exchange of gunfire"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 22 11:48:36 UTC 2013

CNN amateur video recorded an extended police fusillade. It could have been
aimed in the air to accompany the flash-bang grenades.

So far, no reports from police, that I've heard, that Joker shot back or
even had a gun at the time. None. What they're saying is that he
"surrendered after about twenty-five minutes of negotiations."

CNN now casually terms the event a "shootout."

The point is that if he didn't shoot, there was no "fight," "battle," or
"shootout." What actually occurred is thus being forced to fit into a
movie-driven ("Come and get me, coppers!") semantic category that may be a
serious falsification of what happened.

JL