"Joker"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Apr 25 02:15:20 UTC 2013

Amy West wrote, Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:09 AM:
<snip:
Re: Russianifying the name, I noticed that with the surname
"Suleimanova" in one of the articles I've read. <snip>

There's also the Russian composer "Rachmaninoff". The Rachman part is Arabic and contains "rachm" "mercy, compassion." ["ch" pronounced as in German].  So, for example, the name "Abdul Rachman" means "Servant of the (All-)Compassionate One."  Rachmaninoff was of Tatar descent, and the Tatars had early converted to Islam.
---Gerald Cohen