Trespassers will be trespassed

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Apr 25 16:17:37 UTC 2013

There's a new meaning for "trespass" going around that I haven't found
in the OED or in my unabridged Random House dictionary, or Wordnik or
even a dictionary of legal terms. In expressions like "Violators will be
trespassed," or "He was trespassed from the establishment for two
years," it means "banned". I've written a piece about it at Visual
Thesaurus:
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/trespassers-will-be-trespassed/.
It's behind a paywall, but here are some of the links I included:

- a discussion on the English Language & Usage Stack Exchange:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/71933/the-use-of-trespasses
- Google Books view of a book on "loss prevention" that has a thicket of
examples of this usage of "trespass":
http://books.google.com/books?id=BNaDkkw6qVQC&q=trespassed
- Mark  Davies' latest corpus, which showed that this usage is common in
New Zealand: http://corpus2.byu.edu/glowbe/

Neal