weapons of mass destruction

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 27 16:43:00 UTC 2013

But seriously, Fred found an isolated ex. from 1937, with occasional but
steadily increasing usage from 1945.

It unequivocally referred to enormously destructive weapons - flames, big
bombs, and poison gas in 1937, with the addition of bigger bombs and
biological agents after the war.

Question: When was the current federal statute passed (post 9/11?) and,
more importantly, why does it use this phrase instead of something more
obviously appropriate, like (e.g.) "explosive or otherwise destructive
weapon or device"? After all, the list of possibilities provided is as
close to exhaustive as the legislative mind could imagine.

Seems like them Congressmen were setting themselves up to look like jerks.
Of course we know that's impossible.

JL