Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 28 14:47:04 UTC 2013

At 4/28/2013 10:31 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>A non-mechanical form of the cupping blister is called a hickey.

Motto for the day:

1711   J. Addison Spectator No. 195.
¶2   Blistering, Cupping, Bleeding are seldom of use.

But hickeys?

And then there were blisters resulting from
application of the blister-fly/blister-beetle
(cantharides).  What "blistering" often meant in
18th century medicine.  "An essential article of
medicine", according to an 1842 quotation in the OED.


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list