etymology of chicano

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 29 02:31:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> the question of what African-Americans decided to call themselves

But, it's not "African-Americans" doing the deciding. It's
European-Americans. Some random nigger - at one time, I used to trip over
the "improper" use of the Magic Word, but, thanks to the pioneering work of
sociolinguists Aaron McGruder and Dave Chappelle, I've come to see that
_nigger_ is an insult because we black people have made a point of
maintaining it as and interpreting it as (in special cases) an insult, just
as, until the 'Sixties, _black_ was maintained as an insult - thinks
something up and the white-owned media go with it as a bone-toss, if a
big-enough black mouth opens in favor of it. In the case of
"African-American," Rebm Jesse appears to have been the catalyzing
bigmouth, though he wasn't the originator, of this particular bit of
assholery. He probably wasn't the originator of "Hymietown" either, though,
here, too, he was the conduit that introduced it to a waiting world.

A couple or ao of years ago, Elllen Degeneres picked up an Autotune and,
using it to address her audiences both live and on TV, said, "Hello,
bitches!"

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware that she was taken of the air are - uh,
"or"; I'm not in St. Louis, anymore - censured in any other way. Of course,
there may well have been a problem, if she'd said "Hello, cunts!" instead.

Youneverknow.

Those with long memories may recall that, even before she came out, she
used to speak of making people her bitch on her TV show where she was the
owner of a bookstore.

--
-Wilson
-----