"Joker"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 29 03:36:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>wrote:

> Well, we all know Kit Marlowe's "Tamburlaine", Parts I and II, don't we?
>  And we know enough about Chechnya to sent threatening notes to the embassy
> of the Czech Republic.

Larry, we're part of the 0.56% who know stuff beyond our address and
telephone number.

A Tamerlane anecdote

When The T approached a town, he would give the inhabitants thereof the
choice of simply surrendering without putting up any resistance or the
choice of standing and fighting.

If the inhabitants surrendered and opened the gates to him, then he would
kill the men and sell the women and children into slavery, because a
population that didn't have the nads to try to defend itself against him
didn't deserve any mercy.

It the inhabitants stood and fought, then, after they had been defeated, he
would kill the men and sell the women and children into slavery, because a
population that had the unmitigated gall to try to defend itself against
him didn't deserve any mercy.
--
-Wilson
-----