Cocteau Quote About Dictionaries

Tue Apr 30 21:27:48 UTC 2013

Here are some interesting (I think) raw matches in Google Books

Contemporary French literature - Page 235
books.google.com/books?id=wHQ4AAAAIAAJ
René Lalou - 1924 - Snippet view - More editions
"The great literary masterpiece is never anything but a dictionary in
disorder." Some sallies of this sort render bearable the reading of
Potomak which he has himself judged without indulgence in the
Prospectus of 1916. Potomak was dedicated ...

The European caravan: an anthology of the new spirit in European ... -
Volume 1 - Page 78
books.google.com/books?id=5YhCAAAAIAAJ
Samuel Putnam - 1931 - Snippet view - More editions
... unpublished work, I haven't the slightest doubt that you would
have handed him the Larousse Dictionary, for, think over what I say,
Argemone, a literary masterpiece is never anything more than a
dictionary in disorder. "Where are my books?

The european caravan: an anthology of the new spirit in European ... -
Volume 1 - Page 78
books.google.com/books?id=FL8LAQAAMAAJ
Samuel Putnam, James Joyce, Richard Aldington - 1931 - Snippet view -
More editions
... unpublished work, I haven't the slightest doubt that you would
have handed him the Larousse Dictionary, for, think over what I say,
Argemone, a literary masterpiece is never anything more than a
dictionary in disorder. "Where are my books?

New York Times Saturday Review of Books and Art - Volume 1 - Page 23
books.google.com/books?id=BsIfAQAAMAAJ
1936 - Snippet view - More editions
Cocteau's definition of a literary masterpiece ( "a dictionary in
disorder") he flays beautifully, as beautifully as he pulverizes Paul
Morand'a geographical pirouettes. The Dada- Ists and the Surrealists,
of course, are meat for him. His treatment of ...