ice to Eskimos

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 9 17:35:25 UTC 2013

In isolation, I think "pointless", as in "bringing coals to
Newcastle".  Victor, have you seen contexts with that sense?

My topmost hit on Google is "Ice to the Eskimos: How to Market a
Product Nobody Wants [Jon Spoelstra] on Amazon.com."
http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Eskimos-Market-Product-Nobody/dp/0887308511

Thus in the "selling" rather than the "bringing" context, the meaning
seems to have extended from "one couldn't" to "inducing" an
unnecessary purchase.

But (2) below doesn't make sense to me.  Eskimos would not normally
be expected to be easy sales for ice.

Joel