Phrase: distracted walking (hypothesized cause of pedestrian deaths)

Sun Aug 11 16:43:34 UTC 2013

In the domain of perambulation, before "distracted walking" there was
"careless walkin'". Derived from "careless driving" I suspect.

Year: 1922 Copyright
Book title: Sparks of Laughter
Book sub-title: Suggestions to Toastmasters How to Tell a Funny Story
Edition: Third
Publisher: Stewart Anderson, Newark, New Jersey
Page: 23
http://books.google.com/books?id=TrZQAAAAYAAJ&q=walkin#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
A Heedless Jaywalker

Judge — "What's this man charged with, officer?"
Cop — "Careless walkin', yer honor. He bumped into a truck and bent
both fenders and the radiator."
— The American Legion Weekly.
[End excerpt]

Garson