Coworkers with/colleagues with (was: Re: A logical extension, I reckon)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 14 23:39:26 UTC 2013

On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> All kidding aside, I don't see the construction "I'm N with" to be that odd
> -- "I'm friends with" sounds good, for example. Why do other relationships
> present a problem?
>
> DanG

I'm not sure there's a why, which is often the case with collocations--"I'm spouses with X" is certainly odder than "I'm friends with", and perhaps "I'm sisters/brothers with" somewhere in between. The "colleagues" one seems natural to me, maybe because it extends from "friends" in a way the others don't.  In fact, testing the hypothesis, for me "I'm partners with Chris" sounds fine in the business partners sense but much odder in the life/relationship partner sense, while "Chris and I are partners" swings both ways.  YMMV.

>>> www.customerssuck.com =E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA