Make X born

Sat Aug 17 01:24:02 UTC 2013

"Be born gay" seems fine, too. I think it's the combination of passive and causative that sounds strange.

1. My grandfather made my parents raise me that way
is essentially equivalent to
2. My grandfather made me be raised that way

but number 2 sounds strange.

3. My grandfather made it such that I was raised that way

Although stilted, number 3 sounds fine--though "made" is no longer causative.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA

Lean Ainu! Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos