Q: "Turn the double corner"; and not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 21 01:07:50 UTC 2013

At 8/20/2013 08:17 PM, W Brewer wrote:
>WAG: backgammon?

I think not, but I don't know this game well enough
either.   Googling yields a comment on checkers, in _A Handbook of
Draughts, with a Chapter on Backgammon_:  "Obviously, therefore, the
proper plan is, for the player with the superior force to reduce his
adversary to a single King, drive him into the double corner, and
win."   But this book has no instances of "double corner" in its
section on backgammon.

But I'm still not quite able to follow the metaphor into
tavern-haunting and *turn* the double corner.  Perhaps the double
corner is a position from which one can't escape.  But what is "turn" then?

Joel