Counting by 10s vs. 20s

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Aug 22 16:56:46 UTC 2013

The standard theory is that it was borrowed from Celtic languages spoken in the area where French developed . Some Celtic languages do indeed have 'vigesimal' counting systems ((Breton, Welsh, Scots Gaelic and Irish all have or had it) .
Others think the borrowing went the other way round. Vennemann (whom some of you know) thinks it's Basque in origin.
There's some discussion in the Wikipedia article on Vigesimal counting systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal#Origins

but any comprehensive recent history of French would cover it in some considerable detail.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.