Q: "to huck" = "bother, harass verbally"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 25 15:39:09 UTC 2013

A friend whom I might describe as a North Cantabrigian (that is, of
Massachusetts) has (but I'm sure uses infrequently) the verb "huck"
to mean "bother or harass verbally".  Can anyone support or expand on this?

The OED has "huck, v." as "To higgle in trading; to haggle over a
bargain; to chaffer, bargain. Also fig. To haggle over terms, to stickle."

Looking at "chaffer, v.", I see that it evolved into "3. transf. and
fig. (from 1, 2). To deal, bargain, haggle, discuss terms, bandy words."

If "huck" = "chaffer" and "chaffer came to mean "bandy words", I can
imagine "huck" also evolving into "bother verbally".

Joel