Most Notable Quotations of 2013 So Far?

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 27 07:23:25 UTC 2013

Here's some quotes in an article [1] by the Alan Rusbridger, editor of the Guardian, about the British government demanding the return or destruction of documents leaked by Edward Snowden.

"You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back."

 - Sir Jeremy Heywood, the UK's most senior civil servant "on the orders of Prime Minister David Cameron" [2].

"You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more."

 - A shadowy Whitehall figure

A bit more context:

[Begin excerpt]
The mood toughened just over a month ago, when I received a phone call from the centre of government telling me: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back." There followed further meetings with shadowy Whitehall figures. The demand was the same: hand the Snowden material back or destroy it. I explained that we could not research and report on this subject if we complied with this request. The man from Whitehall looked mystified. "You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more."
[End excerpt]

Also from the same article:

[Begin excerpt]
"We can call off the black helicopters," joked one [GCHQ security expert] as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro.
[End excerpt]

Hugo

[1] http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/19/david-miranda-schedule7-danger-reporters

[2] http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7901-uk-government-facing-more-questions-over-miranda-detention-as-newspaper-claims-it-was-forced-to-destroy-data