Dating of "click and collect"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 28 09:47:58 UTC 2013

"click and collect" has been added to Oxford Dictionaries Online in today's August quarterly update (not yet in OED):
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/august-2013-update/
(ODO website currently broken)

ODO, undated
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/click-and-collect

---

Argos press release, 20 September 2000:

[Begin excerpt]
The site offers over 8,000 products across the complete Argos range, while a new Click & Collect service allows customers to select a product online, check its availability at the store of their choice, and reserve it for collection there.
[End excerpt]

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20021115060155/http://www.gusplc.co.uk/template_press.asp?filename=83

---

Argos press release, 21 February 2001:

[Begin excerpt]
The `Innovation 2000' award, decided by a panel of judges, was awarded to Argos for its innovation in giving customers an enhanced online shopping experience through its unique `Click & Collect' service. This allows customers to reserve products online and collect and pay for their merchandise at the store of their choice, ensuring product availability before visiting the store through real-time stock checking. This is of particular benefit to customers who are uncomfortable giving their credit card details over the net.
[End excerpt]

Here's two sources for the press release:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WWW.ARGOS.CO.UK+SWEEPS+THE+BOARD+AT+VISA+E-TAIL+AWARDS.-a070714063
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20011130151150/http://www.gusplc.co.uk/template_press.asp?filename=152

---

A 14 March 2013 quote in the Guardian shows the development was initially slow:

[Begin excerpt]
Terry Duddy, chief executive of Argos's owner, Home Retail Group, said: … "We invented click-and-collect and introduced it in 2000 but it wasn't until the last few years that it has really taken off. Many people have followed, but we are not too concerned by that."
[End excerpt]

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/mar/14/argos-click-collect-profits

---

Hugo