"vaping"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 6 09:50:03 UTC 2013

Vape has been used as a noun for (and a verb for using) a vaporizer for smoking cannabis before e-cigarettes turned up, but the earliest Urban Dictionary for the verb vape, for e-cigarette smoking, is  January 13, 2009:

http://vape.urbanup.com/3621789

---

The earliest I found in an e-cig context, was December 18, 2007, where the e-cigarette-forum.com founder was dismissing the term:

[Begin]
Well it's not smoking....So what is it?

"E-smoking" is a bit of a handful, "Misting" sounds far too fey, "Vaporizing" or "Vaping" has drug connotations.

There must be a better word for my new hobby! Suggestions?
[End]

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/535-well-its-not-smoking-so-what.html#post11419

---

But a few months later, someone else was happy to use vape in a March 2, 2008 post:

[Begin]
I have received both my Sedansa and Njoy ciggies. I would say they are pretty much identical in both appearance and usage. I can interchange the filter cartridges as well as the batteries between the two. They vape about the same. I can drip in both cigs, whether into the atomizer or into the filter. I really like them both.

The e-cig minicig from .......... sucks -- and I don't mean literally. I can't get anything out of them. I don't like their pipe either. It vapes plenty; you just can't inhale and exhale much of anything. I am sending back the pipes and minicigs to ........... I have now ordered ..........'s regular e-cigarette. Hopefully that is more like the Sedansa and the Njoy cigs.
[End]

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/597-njoy-international.html#post11681

---

And the same user later that day:

[Begin]
How about you? How are you doing with your ratio smoking/vaping? Are you dripping?
[End]

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/597-njoy-international.html#post11681

---

April 24, 2008:

[Begin]
"Vaping" is just a fancy way to avoid the term "smoking", since smoking is illegal everywhere and these things don't burn anything and don't produce second-hand smoke.
[End]

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/550-now-thats-smoking-3.html

---

It's now been accepted by the online e-cig community. On the top of every page is a current appeal:

[Begin]
Urgent - EU based Vapers! On Tuesday, the EU will attempt to reach agreement on its e-cigarette regulations. Leaked documents show that the Commission wishes them to be banned
[End]

---

A bit more here: http://english.stackexchange.com/a/101932/9001

Hugo