"Better to have the camel on the inside ...", mutatis mutandis

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Dec 14 17:21:39 UTC 2013

Joel says that the "friends"/"enemies" proverb is a "variation" of the "camel"/"tent" saying.  Well, maybe in the sense that the two sayings are similar in their import or application, are more-or-less synonymous.  But we wouldn't call the word "pig" a VARIATION of the word "hog"!

--Charlie

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 11:07 PM

In an article comparing the reactionary bishop of Providence, R.I.,
to Pope Francis, Kevin Cullen concludes with:

"Pope Francis seems like a genuinely decent guy. If he ever gets to
Providence, I'd suggest he take seriously the advice the wise guys
used to offer first-time visitors to Federal Hill: Keep your friends
close and your enemies closer."

A well-examined saying, but what struck me was that it is a variation
of the camel saying.

Joel