affluenza - screwing the pooch

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Dec 19 12:55:03 UTC 2013

"Stand By Me" came out two years after the film version of "The Right
Stuff," so it more likely reflects perceptions of c.1960 slang by 1980s
screenwriters rather than actual usage. (I haven't read King's "The Body" in
ages, but I don't recall the phrase being in it. And if it is, it would
still postdate Wolfe's book.)

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Herb Stahlke
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:35 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: affluenza - screwing the pooch

In the 1906 movie, Teddy Duchamp, the Corey Feldman role, says

Teddy:

You lose, Gordie! He-he-he-he! Gordie loses! Ole Gordie just screwed the
pooch!

So the expression would have been well-known in American English, at least
if Stephen King, and the screenwriters Raynold Gideon & Bruce A.
Evans<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_A._Evans>have any feel for the
language of samll town twelve-year-olds.