"screw the pooch"

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Dec 19 15:57:57 UTC 2013

The 2004 film "Spartan", written by David Mamet, has a scene where Val Kilmer is instructing a rookie agent to blend in to a city street.  I don't remember the exact line, but at one point they are walking down a street doing surveillance, and Kilmer tells the rookie to be nonchalant.  "You're a guy walking the dog."  The sentence is not literal, there are no dogs.  But it's not clear if it is meant "pretend you are walking a dog", or if it is figurative -- "you are just bumming around."  But I think the loafing sense below is relevant.