Period language in "12 Years a Slave": "soft soap", "clean shirt"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 21 22:34:56 UTC 2013

On Twitter, Nancy Friedman noted "a jarring 'OK' in an 1841 scene":

https://twitter.com/Fritinancy/status/401848725644902400

Benjamin Schmidt, who has been analyzing the script for anachronisms
using Google Ngram data, thinks that the "OK" line was ad-libbed.

--bgz