Further antedatings: "liberty tree", "tree of liberty" (but still 1765)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 24 03:03:59 UTC 2013

On Dec 23, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 12/23/2013 04:04 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> Are these the liberty trees that are to be watered with the blood of
>> patriots?  Or is that a particular species?
>
> The 1765 tree of Boston was the prototype, and was propagated in
> other colonies and in France.  Washington's 1787 statement -- which
> used the formal name, "tree of liberty", and "refreshed", not
> "watered" (a significant difference) -- probably was meant to apply
> to the collection of liberty trees then existing (same species, but
> scions) or to be metaphoric.
>
> Or was the question not serious?
>
> Joel

Semi-.  (I did know it was "the tree of liberty" and not "the liberty tree", but didn't know the rest of the history and was curious.  And I'd obviously forgotten, or misremembered, the "refreshed".)
Thanks.

LH