diacritical marks WAS Re: Word (Phrase?) of the Year (so far)?; Rambo'd (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 1 00:54:06 UTC 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> I had forgotten the line about Keyser Söze's father supposedly being German.
>
> "Söze" doesn't sound particularly German, though (although I could buy into "Keyser" being German -- see "Kaiser"); and the characters in the film don't pronounce "Söze" the way Germans would pronounce a word with that spelling.

There was enough information in the movie to make me feel I was on safe ground inferring his name was Turkish (whether or not I was correct in doing so), and yes, at least in linguistic treatments of Turkish written in English, those fronted Turkish vowels do involve umlauts and umlauting.  (It's not just the form of the symbol, since diaereses aren't umlauts, but the function as well, which is essentially the same in Turkish as in German, even though the causes, e.g. vowel harmony, might be different in some cases.)

LH